Thursday, March 22, 2012

Basic dice earrings

Basic dice earringDice earring with dangles

You'd be surprised how many dice you can split when trying to make earrings.  Murphy's law states that whenever you need a matched pair of dice, the second one you drill will always split if you don't have a replacement.  So I decided to make the dice earrings out of d10's and d8's.  Translucent d4's will also be okay, but I currently have a 50/50 chance of splitting a d4 if it is speckled and a 25% chance of splitting it even if it's translucent.  Maybe I'll give the small ones another chance if I get a drill press.  I also avoid d20's for earrings because they are so heavy.  If anyone has a source for mini d20's please let me know, because I'd love to use them instead.  So the earrings on the left use a matching pair of d8's, drilled all the way through with a headpin and beads on each side.  The loop on top is then attached to a jump ring which is attached to the earring itself.  The ones on the right are the same general idea but with 3 small lengths of chain attached to a loop on the headpin on the bottom.  I really like the effect this gives, but it is a little more difficult to make.  Cutting 6 even lengths of chain is easy, but trying to hold the beads on the headpin is more annoying (especially with poor quality tools that twist when working).  These will also be something I'm likely making bunches of.  I do have to find a cheap way to get pairs of dice though.  My local hobby store tends to make up for a small loss in the price of d20's by jacking up the price of the smaller polyhedral dice, and the availability of bulk online ordering will depend on how much everyone likes what I make.  This is the last of the dice jewelry for a little bit since I'm going to start serious work an Akasha cosplay for Ayla Almee.  The costume should be interesting for anyone who wants to see a lot of media mixed (resin, moldable plastic, airbrushing, jewelry, chain, wire, etc).

~Glitterforge Phoenix

No comments:

Post a Comment