Thursday, March 29, 2012

Akasha cosplay bra (part 4)

Akasha cosplay bra after 3 layers of gold paint
Akasha cosplay bra after 3 layers of gold paint
This is my first time working with an airbrush in years, and the paint I bought was not actually airbrush paint.  While the metallic gold is pretty easy to find, the pearlescent purple needed later wasn't.  I picked up a regular acrylic pack that had a good mix of metallics and pearlescent paints and decided to thin them down to work in the airbrush.  Since they are water based I just mixed some water in the airbrush container with the paint.  I started at 50/50 since the paint seemed thick, but as you can see it didn't coat very well even after 3 layers.

Akasha cosplay bra after last gold layer
Akasha cosplay bra after last gold layer
The end result was having to do a lot of layers.  I lost count, but I think the final total was around 8 layers.  For the final 2 coats I made a much thicker mix (around 80% paint I think) and it was spraying okay even with the finest tip of the airbrush.  At this point I let it dry for 8 hours before moving on to silver.

~Glitterforge Phoenix

No comments:

Post a Comment