Sunday, March 25, 2012

Akasha cosplay bra (part 1)

First part of the Akasha cosplay bra made with modable plastic
First part of the Akasha cosplay bra made with modable plastic
So here is the first part of my attempt at making the Akasha's bra from the Queen of the Damned movie.  Moldable plastic is this cool material I ordered from the internet.  Basically it's hard plastic at room temperature, but if you heat it to 140 degrees or higher it gets the consistency somewhere between clay and those really gummy erasers.  I used a craft store purchasable bra as a backing and then molded the shaped the warm plastic onto the bra.  This took a couple attempts and my conclusion is that the 140 degree water that the container told me to use was only to make the product more "kid safe".  Really heating the water to about 170 degrees was ideal for getting the plastic fully melted (it's clear when melted and white when cooled).  It stays workable for a few minutes, so I did some of the detail work during that time, but there just wasn't enough.  Rather than remelting the entire thing and trying again, I pulled out a hair dryer and heated up specific sections until they became transparent.  I then continued to work it like clay, creating the ridges and curves for the bra.  Overall it took around 4 hours of work to make the first cup.  The materials were pretty nice to work with once I started using the hairdryer to heat it and seems to work well for creating cosplay items since the texture is much smoother than clay.

~Glitterforge Phoenix

No comments:

Post a Comment