Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Akasha cosplay (final results)

Ayla's Akasha Cosplay
Ayla's Akasha cosplay
This is the finale for the Akasha cosplay, as seen at Connecticon.  It was a success, but there were some intense final days.  The trapezoid shells on the belt were originally square.  This seemed fine until placed on the belt (one of the last pieces to be finished).  That meant putting a cutting disc on the rotary tool and putting on a breathing mask again.  Cutting seashell is not a fun process.  The sewing went well, despite it being my first time, and everything fit properly.  The final work on the crown was attaching the 3 coins that connect the main piece and the wire across the middle of the points.  I forgot to take a picture after the crown was completed because these were left unattached until the morning of the con.  While the epoxy is rated at a couple thousand pounds of force, I didn't want to leave the coins strung between the two wires in case the long-term stress caused a problem.

And here is the real final result of the work.  We entered the costume into the novice craftsmanship competition and received the first place prize.  I'm glad it all came together so well.  I owe a lot of that success to Ayla, her knowledge of the jewelry involved, and the idea to use this costume at all.

2 comments:

  1. Would you be willing to rent to me this costume? I've been looking for this costume everywhere and I have no luck. Please email me at darryvalentino@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would have to talk to Ayla. She kept it since it was made for her.

      Delete